Free DHTML scripts provided by
Dynamic Drive

Islam is the light which shone from the dawn of humanity. To bring humanity into the right guidance. To know what is right and what is wrong - Yusuf Islam          The Muslims Have got Islam as a legacy; hence they fail to recognize its value - Muhammad Marmaduke Pickthall          We need spirited, energetic and strong young people whose hearts are filled with life, enthusiasm, zeal and dynamism; whose souls are full of ambition, aspiration and vigour and have great goals, rising and aspiring to reach them until they eventually arrive at their destination - Hasan al-Banna          Love cannot fully express itself without hatred for its enemy and our hatred of falsehood must be proportionate to our love for the truth - Maryam Jameelah           We must begin looking at each other as brothers and sisters…..and not walking brochures. We must see each other’s strengths and encourage those strengths…..We must see each other’s weaknesses and be patient with those weaknesses…..sometimes even look beyond what we see as weaknesses and move on with compassion and love and respect. That takes true faith - Dawud Wharnsby Ali          Those who know they do not know, know that, to know is to know what they do not know - Ibn Sina          Education is our Passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today - Malcolm X          I looked at all friends, but did not find a better friend than safeguarding the tongue. I thought about all dresses, but did not find a better dress than piety. I thought of all types of wealth, but did not find a better wealth than contentment in little. I thought of all types of good deeds, but did not find a better deed than offering good advice. I looked at all types of sustenance, but did not find a better sustenance than patience - Umar bin Khattab (R)        

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Memories!

Ok, I know I'm being a blog freak, but I gotta do this. Mou, your mention of the sleep-over part in the dream brought back bitter-sweet memories. Remember new years eve 1996, how we celebrated it? We ere silly little kids! I don't think we did wrong consciously. Remember how we put on shari, did our hair! The rest is a bit hazy, did we light candles and swear solemn oaths (like new years resolutions)?!?! Help me here. Anyways. There were mily apu, you, me, afifa, zakia....was maliha and nilufa there? that bit is hazy too. Remember nilufa, that tall gangly girl? She was in mily apu's grade. She's married now and living with her husband in the US. She married someone from BNP and mily apu wasn't invited. Not nice, I thought. But from mily apu, I got the impression that by then they had drifted apart anyway.

Anyways, back to my reminiscence.... We did some more silly stuff. We were at Abul Hossain uncle's flat (Tamanna's dad, remeber her??). he was overseas, his family was holydaying in desher bari and we had practically taken over their flat (with uncle's permission). This was God send. Otherwise we'd have to rent for those 2 weeks bewfore coming to Australia. Anyways that night, the only male in the house was abbu. Ammu, your mum and a few other aunties were having sleep-over at mily apu's flat. Except, I heard later that they didn't sleep. Typically what happens when aunties get together. More so that night coz i giess it was kinda farewell-sleepover. Thankfully, ammu ahd taken baby radia and little raef with her. *LOL*

I really wanted to take photos that night, but the camera we had was my fufa's and I wasn't sure if he'd be happy with me using it. We didn't even have our own camera! We borrowed his to take photos at the airport. So, sadly, not photos from that night. I remember we called it 'nobo borsho boron kori' or sumthing like that. We did our ritals just as the clock struck 12, do you remember? Ah those innocent days! Finally sleep-time. You, afifa, zakia eneded up together in one room coz you were the youngies. That brings me to the question whether nilifa was there or not. I remember mily apu, me and nilufa squashing up in a single-bed. We couldn't sleep either, but more from the lack of room that chatting. I have a strong suspision I'm mixing his up with another sleepover. Anyways, we did chat. nilifar told us about this guy she had a crush on! Well, she didn't say she had a crush on him, but the way she was talking, I could bet a million bucks that she did. Me and mily apu didn't have that sorta story. But I know that mily apu and some of her friends had similar stories: guys trying to give them messages and asking them time for no reason etc. Mou, do you remember Rasheda? She was at the centre of it, always simpering and fluttering eyelids at guys, mily apu and I were just tag along extras. *LOL* The things we did when we were little! The sad thing is, I heard that Rasheda had actually eloped with with one of those silly no-brains, then her parents brought her back. Imagine the embassesment! Serves her right!

Remember our last picnic, on the rooftop of your flat? We actually took pictures on that day but they got lost even before we flew to Australia. Rotten luck! But I still see it vividly in my mind's eye. Remember we made a poster that said 'Anondovojon' as in instead of 'bonvojon'? I stayed up the previous night cutting out the letters and gluing it. We had so much fun! Remember how we did khopa on you mou? Your hair was little, just started growing back. I think you got sick and it had to go. Sorry mou. We put a black scarf on you, pulled it to the back and twisted it into a khopa at the back. I remember I even put some flowers on your khopa to make it look realistic. The flowers we decorate our rooms with *LOL* Remember how we dressed up mily apu like a bride with the face dot decoration and all? She was the fairest and prettiest! Still is! Oh the beauty spots on her mliky complexion! Think that was a bit too mushy now* Your mum took some real gud pics of her in the bridal look. Aunty cooked us the fantastic food. Cant remember what it was? Did we even help her skin some onions or potatos? Cant remember that either. Anyways, I'll stop now and wait for you or anyone to supplement or correct my story

13 Comments:

Blogger maya said...

Assalamu alikum. Hey, even after 8 yrs I remember that night very clearly. Maybe its because it was one of the happiest nights of my life. I think raef was there too, sleeping with uncle in the dining room. And we were in your parents room. And that wasn’t nilufa apu, that was numu apu, my cousin. And ammura maliha ar rumanake oder shathe niye gechilo. And then I remember we dressed up as diff personality. You, mily apu, and numu apu all dressed up as morjina. I was mixed, I don’t know what I was. Teep, pagri, orna, I think I was kimbhutkimakar. And afifa apu did dhila khopa with orna, ar jakia apu tight khopa. But we all put make up on and stuff. I think you were saying this oath, ar amra buke hat diye or hat bariye like we used to do for PT in our school, tomake repeate korchilam. I remember I wanted to stay up at night, but you guys didn’t let me cause ammu told you guys not to let me stay awake very late, cause I was sick. And then me afi apu and jaki apu were shuashed in a single bed, and you guys got the big bed. We werein the same room though. I really wish we had some pics of that night. And then I remember about the picnic too. I was wearing a blue sari, I think mily apu green, I don’t remember if we dressed her up as a bou, I don’t remember what you guys were wearing. Oh yeah, I remember the khopa and flowers in my head. Lol, it was so big, and heavy, that I was having hard time keeping my head straight. But anyways, and………..i rememebr numu apu was wearing this pink sari. Or violet I think. And then for some reason she got mad at you guys. And then remember, amra ekta tent banaisilam, amader shamner chade. Tarpor nich tala theke ekta family upore eshe amader tente chobi tullo onek. Achcha munira apu, tomar ki oi picnic-er kono chobi ache? Thakle scan kore pathaioto. Amader shob chobi bd-te theke geche. Do you know what the funny thing is though, tomader kon boyoshe meet korsi, 2 yrs old, 3 yrs old? But I still rememeber so many things. From when you guys used to live in dhan gobeshona, ektala, tarpor D-type move korla. Tarpor DG-r baire move korla, next is rajshahi, tarpor ekebare australia. Prothome chila amader shamner building-e, tarpor koyekta building pore, tarpor onno jaigai, tarpor onno city, and at last another country. I remember the time when one time I was mad at ammu for something, or I think I made that up just to stay at your house, and I stayed there for 3 days. And I was only 3 yrs old. And then I remember, baire jokhon tomra move korla, tomader bashar shamne ekta talgach chilo, shekhane amra bagan bagan kheltam. And then the time when you guys came to live at our house for a few days, I was in upper or class 1, and then the day you guys left, I was so depressed. Anyways, the point is, amar chilhood-er khub boro ekta shomoi katse tomader shathe. So you guys will always stay so close to my heart.
Anyways, hey, I was really young then. So I didn’t really know a lot about nilufa apu’s crushes. Actually I didn’t even know about that. Are you serious? And who is rasheda apu. Maybe you are talking about maimuna apu? Don’t know. Don’t remember. Wow, did any guy actually aproach mily apu? And I dint know nilufa apu got married. Wow…………achcha, do you know if she changed a bit. I mean, aunty was so religious. But nilufa apu wouldn’t want to wear hijaab, or wear short dresses. I remember ammu and aunty talking to nadia apu about this, cause she kind of followed nilufa apu. She was like “daran, age ektu moja kore nei, tarpor oshob shuru korbo”. Anyways…………I didn’t even know nilufa apu is here……….wow……….hm……….anwyays, I think onek likhe fellam……..ashole memories pata ultate thakle thama ektu mushkil hoye jai………………..anyways, hey munira apu, tomader ki oi picnic-er kono chobi ache? Kingba any pic we took together. Thakle scan kore pathaioto……………..i relly wanna see those pics…………..shob chobi bd-te theke geche…….achcha, so maybe I should stop now. Salams.

2:12 pm, May 26, 2005  
Blogger »|m|u|n|i|r|a|« said...

You're right, I did get that night mixed up with another sleep-over. Now I remember that numu was there! How is she by the way? What is she doing?

Yeah, you were too little to remember who had crush on who. I don't think any guys approached mily apu personally, but they used to approach the grp she hanged with. It as silly I tell ya. Enough with that.

You're right abt Nilufa. I heard it too. Its sad. You can't remember rasheda apu. I remember maimuna apu, wasn't talking abt her though. I wonder how they all are? Probably all married now.

We dont hav the picnic photos. Lost them before we came to Australia. I remeber the tent. Did we make it out of bed-sheets? *lol*

I remember the first time I met you, you were about 2 and a half yrs old and I was in grade 1 I think. I remember the first time I met mily apu's dad. He gave me, afifa and zakia a ride on his motor bike. It was fun! Maybe we shud invite mily apu to out blog. Don't know if she'll want to though, what do you think?

4:31 pm, May 26, 2005  
Blogger »|m|u|n|i|r|a|« said...

Nabila, you'll always be close to my heart, too. I always think of you as a younger sister more than a friend...

4:33 pm, May 26, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am I allowed to be privy to this blog? I will gracefully slide away as though I had never existed before if you tell me to "GET LOST, FREAK!"

6:44 pm, May 26, 2005  
Blogger Aaisha said...

Great 2 c u have so many memories 2getha. Some1 I can share memories with, come on! Anika, get a blog account quick so we can show off 2 every1 abt how cool our childhood was!!!

7:37 pm, May 26, 2005  
Blogger »|m|u|n|i|r|a|« said...

Yeah Anika, HURRY!

10:19 pm, May 26, 2005  
Blogger maya said...

salams muni apu. numu apu is ok........actually i heard she changed a lot. i havent talked to her for such a long time. from ammu and mama's conversation, i dont think she is doing too well. but anyways, hey, i dont even remember the first time we met. amar jotodur mone pore, ami tomader shob shomoi chintam. hey what happened the first time we met. how was i? how old was raef and afi jaki apura? hey ishi.....dont worry, you will get your chance to show off your childhood too........muni apu, you can tell mily apu, but i dont think she will be able to join......she barely has time to check her mail....anyways, it would be cool if she could join us. and maliha, afifa apu, jakia apu, anika, that would be so cool. anyways......i think i write too much......i gotta go to this "Festival of Cultures" in Anika's school. they are goign to perform......so ta-ta ppl. Salam.

7:33 am, May 27, 2005  
Blogger »|m|u|n|i|r|a|« said...

Just mailed mily apu last night, stil waiting for her reply. I'm gonna write another blog entry 'When I 1st met you' *lol* How did the Cultural Fesival go? Post a blog msg.

11:02 am, May 27, 2005  
Blogger »|m|u|n|i|r|a|« said...

And mou, I invited maliha, afifa, zakia and anika. Just have to be patient with the novices till they catch on. Tell maliha to check all email, cant remeber which one I sent it to.

12:46 pm, May 27, 2005  
Blogger Aaisha said...

well, our childhood was full of rich memories. Remember, how i got my head stuck between the baranda railings and they had to get so many people to help rescue my big head! Remember ur fave word 'gaga' John Smith! That was (sometimes i think still is) the only word in ur vocab apart from 'aga' as well, lol. I was such a good sister. Still am! Never jealous or violent, lol. If i was its coz u brought it on sista!

Anyways, enuff memories for now. U think of sum (save the embarrasing ones) and blog away!

6:24 pm, May 27, 2005  
Blogger »|m|u|n|i|r|a|« said...

Pain. Havta initate you here JS. Since you're reluctant to post amsg.
(Ahem) You have been initiated a fellow blogger at our miscrocosm. Two rules: (1) blog regolarly (2) comment regularly. ENJOY

10:02 pm, May 27, 2005  
Blogger »|m|u|n|i|r|a|« said...

*Head stuck between the baranda railings* haha that would be memorable!

Hey maybe we shud also share our deepedst darkest secrets...ok 2nd deepesk darkest maybe. Lets see who's game to start. Post as msg, not comment.

10:05 pm, May 27, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol.......wow.........some childhood memory..........a pretty cool one though.......

10:56 am, May 29, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home